Vote "YES" on March 18th
A dedicated group of Peru residents have collected enough signatures to place a “Referendum Ballot Question” on the upcoming General Primary election on March 18th 2014. We are a Grass Roots group working to improve government efficiency while increasing the level of representation for each and every resident of Peru, IL. Voters in Peru will be asked the following question on March 18th;
SHALL PERU RESTRICT THE NUMBER OF ALDERMEN TO SIX, WITH ONE ALDERMAN REPRESENTING EACH WARD, PLUS TWO ADDITIONAL ALDERMEN TO BE ELECTED AT LARGE?Important Information for Peru Voters:
• With (1) WARD ALDERMAN and (2) AT-LARGE ALDERMEN each citizen will have a total of (3) aldermen to contact when they have a question or concern. That’s “more representation than the current ward system provides”.
• If approved, every voter will have 3 votes to cast for Aldermen in the 2015 election. That is power at the polls.
• Peru Aldermen recently reduced the number of council meetings by one-half, but they refused to reduce their annual salaries accordingly.
• Peru City Council has four “working committees”, but only two of those four committees actually conduct regular meetings. Why do we need eight aldermen if only half of the committees have meetings?
• If the referendum to reduce the number of aldermen is approved, all existing aldermanic terms expire in April 2015. That means there will be six aldermen seats up for grabs at the next city election in April of 2015.
• Six seats available in 2015 will encourage more citizens to run for aldermen in Peru. More interest in local government will mean more new candidates running for alderman.
• Your “YES” vote will save Peru taxpayers $12,000 per year in aldermen salaries as well as all expenses for two aldermen and spouses to attend the annual IML Conference in Chicago.
• Peru needs fresh voices and new faces on our city council. This initiative will “shake things up” and that is exactly what Peru needs right now.
• Leadership in Peru must be defined by QUALITY not QUANTITY!